Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Sims 3 Disable Need For Disk

Heart of Jade (T1)

Volume 1: The secret masks
Author: Kristoff Valla
Editions: Matagot (2010)
Number of pages: 336

Back Cover:
There are over 2200 years, China ...
To avenge his family, Su Yi, a village girl, binds a pact with the dragon Long Dao. She became the Jade Heart, implacable avenger. Years later, facing a threat ancestral to which it appears to be related, the warrior out of his solitude and reconnect with old companions. Against the sect of Masks, it's destiny, and soul ...

My opinion:

It is with great pleasure that I had the opportunity to read this book, which I tried for two reasons:

- the first is that history located in the East and specifically in China. Like everything related to these countries, their history, their customs, their habits ... And even if the work here is classified as category "youth", I can assure you that must be followed to not get lost and digest what the author tells us. In addition, his writing is far from simplistic though it is not complicated. I do not recommend it for children too young and I think 12 years is the minimum age for this book.

- the second is that it made me think of another series, "Young Samurai" that I adored. I thought I read elsewhere about the same here but after reading I was wrong. Indeed, the two series are totally different but equally interesting one than the other. We do not see here training and learning at the battle of Heart of Jade (although I wish it were the case that the book is really full) but we follow through China where wars rage.

is discovered different clans, alliances, corruption, and sword fights ... There is everything to do a very good book combines legends, historical discoveries and adventure.

Despite my present occupation, I have only 4 days to read. This means it reads as fast and as it is taking even if, personally, I was baffled by some minor details.

Firstly, the characters do not really name: Heart of Jade (known initially it was called Yi Su), Black Heart, Blood Moon, Three Truths, Thousand Blades Iron Fist of Bronze ...

I will not name them all because there are some but I admit I struggled at times to remember who was who. I was just lost and I had to reposition myself in the context memory to get back in the characters. It is not obvious to manage this way of naming players even though I thought it was original and well thought out.

The author, from that angle, makes us enter his own world, even if he still uses the ancient history of China to locate its development. It adds to this a feature that I had no idea who I was quite surprised: the hours are not expressed as a habit but in this way: "hour of the rat", "hour of the Ox", "dog time" .. .

Again, it is difficult to detect in time when you do not know when it is in the day. There is a glossary at the end of the book that explains all this but I do not see myself stopping my reading to go take a peek. And at the same time, this approach is an excellent way to totally immerse themselves in ancient China that the author takes us.

Overall So, the book is worth some attention and we find it. Despite a few reservations for me, the whole is very good and makes you want to continue the trilogy. We want to continue with this quest Heart of Jade. It focuses on several characters, are wary of others, but curiosity is always present and fueled.

The book itself is superb and is complemented by a travelogue with exquisite designs, to better understand what can we escape being played including the geopolitics of the Warring States (fifth century av. BC to -221) as it was in this period that the story told us. Not easy to understand everything but very interesting to learn and discover. I look forward to also read the Volume 2, The Mists of yellow springs, released in January.

I greatly thank Mathilde of Editions Matagot to be partnering with my blog. I made a discovery that I pretty much intend to continue.

0 comments:

Post a Comment